At Selston we follow the White Rose Maths scheme
White Rose Maths are leading experts in mathematics, they bring together a team of highly experienced and passionate maths teaching experts to support teaching and learning.
Each Year group follows the White Rose Maths Schemes of Learning. You can find these in the resources link below.
Structure of a Maths lesson
Each session begins with counting and Learn-its, followed by wider maths.
How can I support my child with maths?
We believe that every child can succeed in maths, and one of the most important building blocks for success is a positive mindset. It’s therefore essential to help your child feel good about maths at home, too. For example, you can talk to your child about the maths they are working on in school and encourage them to show you the methods they’ve learned.
We use mathematical concepts and procedures many times in our daily lives, often without realising that it’s maths! Here are some ideas that you can try at home:
- Singing number nursery rhymes
- Counting the steps as you walk up the staircase and counting backwards as you come down
- Counting the change when you pay at the shops
- Measure out the ingredients together when baking
- Use mathematical language, e.g. would you like your sandwich in halves or quarters?
- Checking the time on the clock